Thursday, July 3, 2008

Flipping the Script on my Previous/ First Post Over a Cup of Coffee at Night


So, after seeking some feedback on my first post from a few folks, my friend Alex out in Cali brought up an EXCELLENT piggy-back discussion point from my previous post. His question? Simple, yet sufficiently painful- what are the games/ sports events you would NEVER want to have to see again? In a word- ouch!

1. Frankly, there might not even need to be a rest of the list because this first game takes the cake. My best friends know it if they know me, and this game has most likely taken ten years off my life and 10% of my sanity. I'm talking Bills-Oilers in the 1992 playoffs.

I mean, what the hell, man! The Oilers had a 35-3 lead in the third quarter after Bubba McDowell established his dominace with an INT for a touchdown early in the second half. I still remember hearing the start of that game in our family suburban sitting outside of Toys R Us , and walking up and down the grounds of Memorial City Mall as the first half lead exploded. Even after a second half Buffalo TD pulled the score to 35-10, I remember being disappointed that it was going to look like a close game, and hoping Houston could still put 70 points on the Bills. And then...Frank Reich became Frank Reich, Maryland Terrapin Superstar, and it all fell to pieces. Next I know, Don Beebe is running all over the field (in bounds and out) catching touchdowns while Andre Reed is running out of ways to celebrate his countless scores in the third and fourth quarter. A late Al Del Greco field goal actually allows the Oilers to take the game to overtime, only to allow Warren Moon the chance to throw his OT interception and Buffalo complete their Mortal Kombat-like "finishing" move of the Oilers' franchise. Oh, sure, Houston stomped on my soul just slightly earlier when they blew a playoff game to the Denver Broncos, but there was very little left the following season when a nearly washed up Joe Montana took the Chiefs into the House of Pain and decided the Oilers would never be in the playoffs again. Ever. Sure, we have the Music City Miracle as Titans/ Oilers fans, but it's still not quite the same to me. One day I might be able to let it go. But it won't be today.

2. 2001 Big 12 Championship- CU defeats Texas 35-31.

If you are a Texas fan, you know that the pain is compounded by all the chips falling the right way that day. If UT wins, UT goes on to face Miami for the National Title. (Does UT get thrashed like Nebraska did in that game? Perhaps. Say "yes" if you want to help ease the pain of this loss!) But, seeing it in person doesn't help one digest the steady diet of Chris Simms turnovers. It doesn't help one forget the HORRIBLE "roughing the punter" call the effectively ended the Major Applewhite comeback attempt. It also doesn't help one overlook the injury to Ced Benson that notably negated any rushing attack the rest of the day. No, being there in person sucked, walking out of that building a loser sucked, and seeing it again on tv would...well...suck.

3. 2005 World Series (Astros Swept vs. White Sox)

Did this series really happen? I was too busy chasing after a girl from San Antonio at the time, but I've heard the Astros didn't win a single game in the World Series. Well, I'll be damned. Sounds like it still would've been more entertaining than the girl from San Antonio, but I digress. Getting to the promised land, only to come up short, is not very cool.

4. (UPDATE) I'd be remiss to forget to acknowledge a big loss for my favorite team growing up- the Houston Rockets. The Rockets will always be special to me since they brought home the first championships to Houston in 1994 and 1995. (No, the AFL doesn't count to me. Yes, I realize more people remember the O.J. car chase than the Rockets playing the Knicks, but the Rockets did get a ring before Orenthal found the "real killer," so at least we have that going for us.)

Nevertheless, in 1997, the Rockets led the Jazz 98-91 with under 2 minutes left in Game 6. Charles Barkley was going to lead the Rockets to a game 7 for a shot at a third title, and a chance to finally bring to a forefront the Hakeem vs. Jordan argument. (Hakeem and the Rockets owned the Bulls during the Bull championship years, but that's another story for another day.) However, things came crashing to a messy halt as the Rockets proceeded to blow their lead, and drop the series to the Jazz. The deathblow? John Freaking Stockton, one-half of the dirty Stockton/ Malone tag-team, nails a buzzer-beating three-pointer to suck the wind out of the arena. The Rockets, to this day, have not won a playoff series since that season. Here is the vomit-inducing last two minutes of that game.




5. 1996- Texas loses to Notre Dame in Austin

This is another game I was at, and it was my first taste of loss as a Longhorn. Unfortunately, it came against one of the teams that we all love to hate. But, on this day, Texas snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by shanking a punt worse than humanly possible, and watching James Brown throw a pass that was deflected and ultimately landed in the hands of a Notre Dame defenseman. However, this hit helps me deal with all the negative memories....




6. 1997- UCLA- One BILLION, Texas- 3. (Okay, 66-3, but who's counting?)

This game was hot. This game sucked. This game was hot and it sucked. And I think it's over, and UCLA has finally stopped scoring. On the other hand....

7. OU 63, Texas 14.

Quintin Griffin just scored again. And again. And then quite possibly again. It was sickening....Until I had to see it again in the form of 65-13 in person. Maybe Chris Simms getting creamed by Roy Williams in the end zone wasn't so bad after all compared to those two debacles.

8. (UPDATE) As per the comments left by my friend, Eric, I'm adding the 1999 Black Coaches Classic Game between Texas and NC State.

The game was dominated by the Texas offense...and, more notably, the NC State special teams. To us, it's known as the "Block Party" game, and despite dominating the game on offense, the Horns lose the game 23-20 to start the season with a big clunker. Ughhh....



The truth is, I could probably keep going. Maybe it's just as easy to think of the huge losses as it is to think of the amazing comebacks and "can't miss" events. For every game that I could watch over and over until my wife disconnects the tv, there are some games out there that would be Chinese water torture to watch again. It's okay, though. Those games help me appreciate the wins that much more, especially the captivating ones.



Honorable Mention

1983- UH vs. NC State - Phi Slamma Jamma can't seal the deal vs. a much less talented NC State team that sat back, watched UH brick free throws, and donate them a national championship.

1993 Michigan vs. UNC- The Webber Timeout game. Umm...yeah.



1986- Houston Astros vs. NY Mets- Game 6. Fantastic game in MLB history. Not quite the desired ending for Houston fans.



2000 Super Bowl- Titans vs. Rams- As a life-long Houston Oilers fan, my heart followed the team to Tennessee. And the way they valiantly came back to tie the surprising Rams gives me some solace. But still....Could Dyson have just somehow made it that one last yard? Each time I see it I think, "Maybe this time he gets there...." Not so much. : (

2 comments:

El Guapo said...

I can honestly say that I have lost at least ten years of my life as a direct result of longhorn sports. But, lets add one more to the honorable mention. We like to refer to it as the NC State "Block Party"

UT 372 total yards
NC State 172 total yards

Final: UT 20 NC State 23

How did we lose, you ask?

(This is where you insert three blocked kicks, two of which are returned for...gulp...touchdowns)

Alex McMurray said...

Getting to the promised land, only to come up short, is not very cool.

*****Are you referring to the game or the girl? (Ba-dump-chuh!) Sorry. That was too easy.

I've left you my list via e-mail, but for the sake of your readers and my ongoing therapy dealing with the lowest of lows, I'll give the condensed version of my lengthy list.

In a nutshell:

A's Playoffs (2000-2003)
A's World Series (1988, 1990)

49ers Playoffs (1985-87)

Sorry Ryan, but 2006 Rose Bowl cost me the pool victory.

1990 Big Game (Cal v Stanford) The Cardinal scored 9-points in the last 12-seconds to win the damn game.