Monday, July 7, 2008

Favorite Player of All Time?

My wife and I were having dinner the other day, and for whatever reason, she started asking me about my favorite players of all time in each sport. So, since this blog has taken on a "sports theme" thus far, it seemed like it fit the bill.

Now, bear in mind that there are tons of reasons for a player to be one's favorite. Hell, it doesn't have to be a logical selection at all! The player doesn't have to be any good, though that might have a bearing. Often, that player can hold a special spot in your heart for any reason, logically-sound or not. Maybe it's someone that brings back memories from past success, or just memories of childhood and all the idolization that comes with being a sports fan as a kid. Who knows, and who cares? Here are some favorite of mine. Feel free to chip in and share your own.

The NBA- I've had some favorites from all sorts of teams growing up. I loved MJ when he was up and coming in the league, trying to get past the thuggish Knicks and Pistons before achieving his first round of success against Magic and the Lakers in the early 90's. Robert Horry was a favorite of mine when he burst onto the league as a high-flying dunker who could step out and hit a big 3, guard most anyone on the opposing team, and generally wreak havoc as a regular season "coaster" and playoff phenom. Vernon Maxwell will always have a special place in my heart for being a fearless mofo. That dude could shoot you back into a game, although he was just as likely to shoot you out of it. The fact that he put up 30+ points in the 4th quarter of one game should say it all. He was a relentless defender who usually was at his best against the league's best, and he was a huge reason the Rockets found success against MJ and the Bulls during their best seasons. The bottom line is that he wasn't afraid of anything or anyone, and that bad-ass factor made him easy to love. Conversely, his willingness to jump into the fans to mix it up, or his "quitting" on the team in the 1995 championship season dropped him down a notch or ten in my book.

However, when talking about favorites, it comes down to one guy- Hakeem Olajuwon. For a variety of reasons, "The Dream" is still highly underrated to this day. Even worse, I fear that people are starting to forget about his legacy, despite the way he destroyed Ewing, Robinson and Shaq in the 94 and 95 playoffs. Regardless, for a man of his size, I grew up enjoying him dominate on both ends of the court with quick reflexes and amazing footwork that led to steals and blocks that turned into dreamshakes, jumpers, and dunks on the other end. Quite simply he was a gem of an athlete to watch, and he's the reason I fade away when I shoot from the baseline more often than not. : ) For those of you too young to remember, check out some vids of Hakeem in his prime to see how one man revolutionized the game on the low post.



The MLB- Growing up, believe it or not, I was a huge Barry Bonds fan. Going back to his Pirates days, there was something promising about that team with Van Slyke, Bonilla and Bonds holding down the outfield slots. Much of it was the intrigue Bonds brought to the table as a man who was a 5 tool player and then some. The power, speed, and defense he brought to a game were breath-taking, and despite his growing reputation as a primadonna and playoff failure, I seemed to still stick with him. Until, well, until his head was bigger than a pumpkin, until the BALCO stories, until he continued to be described as a clubhouse cancer. On his best days. I'm not sure exactly who my favorite baseball player of all time is since Bonds' fall from grace. Growing up, I loved Jose Cruz (who didn't love to shout "Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuz" from the stands of the cavernous Astrodome?), Glen Davis (a solid, if never spectacular first baseman for the Stros back in the day), and ultimately Jeff Bagwell. Bagwell and Biggio brought Houston repeated success in the 90's and 2000's, but their playoff failures still overshadow them. With Bagwell breaking down from superstar MVP to frail utility player in the World Series in 2005, it's hard to not know for sure if he was totally clean. Who knows for sure nowadays? But, his leadership and attitude keeps him in my mind as one of my all-time favorites.


The NFL- Although I've briefly mentioned my love for the hometown Oilers growing up, I can say with certainty that my favorite player doesn't wear Columbia Blue. Sure, I really was a big Ernest Givins fan back in the day. He was a guy who was fearless running across the middle to catch a pass, and even performed an awesome (though injury-creating) somersault to score a TD over Buffalo in Houston one year. Unfortunately, his willingness to take a hit often caused him to get hurt, or fumble, or perhaps both. Check the 2:57 mark on the following video....



As the Oilers became the Titans, I still stuck with them. That was my team, no matter how close or far they played to me. I figured I couldn't afford tickets when they were in Houston, I still couldn't afford tickets if they were in Nashville! And yes, Bud Adams is the devil, but ex-mayor Bob Lanier was no rocket scientist ever. Regardless, Steve McNair and Eddie George were some of the last Oilers to thrive as Titans, leading Tennessee to the Super Bowl against the St. Louis Rams. Both players demonstrated toughness and success through bad times and good, and it was neat to see them take the team on their backs at times and will them to victory. Eddie George might best be remembered as the only Buckeye I've ever liked, while Steve McNair overcame a terrible haircut to gain a reputation as the toughest QB in the league, often overcoming any and every injury to take the field and find a way to help the Titans win. So, those two guys are up there in my list of favorites. Nowadays, I'm a big fan of guys all over the league, including VY, Clinton Portis, Torry Holt, and Brian Westbrook, just to name a few.

But all time, pound for pound, my guy is Barry Sanders. Not only did Barry Sanders seem to defy the laws of physics every time he carried the ball, but he defied what many felt was in his best interest by retiring early. To this day, people argue over who the best running back is, and despite Sanders' belief that it was Jim Brown, just as many people are prone to put his name at the top of the list. Running for years behind a marginal O-line, Sanders was able to turn losses of yards into gains, 1 yard gains into big gains, and big gains into game-breaking TD's. His Achilles Heel was often his success (or lack of) in short yardage situations, but no-one can argue that the excitement Barry Sanders brought to the game was dynamic, and you just never knew when he was going to bust the next big highlight-making run.

I wish he had more playoff success, but he never quite had the necessary supporting cast in Detroit. It's been said that led to much dissatisfaction, and it played a part in him leaving the NFL early. However, some might argue that his decision to leave the game early was one that has only furthered his legacy. While some players hold on too long, Barry left on his own terms, and with years of potential success unfulfilled. Contrast that to players like Emmitt Smith and Earl Campbell who were legends in their own right, and possibly the best ever, but ultimately became shells of their former self on other teams down the stretch of their careers.

All in all, Barry Sanders is my favorite NFL player of all time because he was a guy who you could not ever abandon the tv when his team was playing. You simply never knew if his contribution to Turkey Day would be a TD run for the ages, or at the least, a 10 yard scamper that would move the chains and baffle linebackers and safeties on opposing defenses. If you've never seen him play, consider his ballet-like balance, shiftiness, and refusal to get tackled another blessing to the game and any fans who got to watch him wreak havoc in the NFL and Tecmo Super Bowl back in the day.



I don't know if he's the best ever, but I think he's earned his spot in the conversation. So, who are your favorites? Feel free to leave them in the comments section, and tell me what you think about mine. College favorites will come later. This is long enough as it is! (That's what she said....)

1 comment:

Alex McMurray said...

I love the ideas and postings, Ryan. Top notch. Before reading through your *favorites* list, I decided to complete one of my own. It's posted at my page. Check it out.

Meanwhile, I was happy to see Barry Sanders on your list. The only non-Houston connection? I threw in soccer, hockey, and college to fill out my list.

Hey, I'm not knocking being a homer, by the way. Check out my list.

Keep up the great work. I'm still mulling over some topics for upcoming postings.